Arts and Culture
In 2012, the Barangaroo Delivery Authority appointed world leading consultancy, AEA Consulting, to undertake a study that explores cultural development opportunities for Sydney and recommend specific options for inclusion at Barangaroo. The study considered options for the future cultural needs of Barangaroo so the city and the State can compete nationally and internationally as a host to tourism, cultural events and festivals.
The study involved high level stakeholder consultation across the cultural community and leaders.
The strategic direction of the cultural study was guided by a steering group comprising Government and private individuals, and led to a series of recommended options to be considered by the Premier of NSW.
The recommendations of the cultural study and the subsequent development plans and programs informed the brief for the Barangaroo Central master planning work which is underway.
The Board of the Barangaroo Delivery Authority has appointed members to the Barangaroo Arts and Cultural Panel, to advise the Authority in the delivery and commissioning of high quality art and cultural activities within the development of Barangaroo.
The Panel Members are:
- Gabrielle Trainor, Chair of the Panel, Chair of the National Film and Sound Archive (former Barangaroo Board Member)
- Wesley Enoch, Festival Director, Sydney Festival
- Simon Hardy, Executive Director, Design and Infrastructure – Barangaroo South, Lend Lease
- Jess Scully, Curator, Vivid Ideas
- Leon Paroissien AM, Founding Director Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Chair of the City of Sydney's Public Art Advisory Panel. Mr Paroissien joins the Panel as the City of Sydney’s representative
- Alison Page, Designer and Creative Director of Aboriginal Design Studio, former Executive Officer of the Saltwater Freshwater Arts Alliance
- Senior representative of the Barangaroo Delivery Authority