After many months of hard work, the upgrade to the plaza located between Shelley Street and Exchange Place is complete and open for everyone to enjoy. We think its a marvellous transformation from an asphalt space to a beautiful gathering place shrouded in a luscious green canopy. The upgrade included the installation of:
- 900sqm of granite paving from Barangaroo Avenue to Wynyard Walk,
- three 8m x 5m custom concrete planter boxes,
- one dozen mature Japanese Elm Trees,
- innovative lighting systems with in-ground lights that replicate the constellations of the night sky; and
- four City of Sydney street lights on Shelley St to address a dark zone.
In line with our commitment to Design Excellence the space was designed by landscape architect firm Oculus, who re-imagined the space to:
- introduce a green canopy,
- provide a place of arrival that complements the busy Exchange Place; and
- provide a space to meet and rest.
We have no doubt that the thousands of people that enter Barangaroo from the Wynyard Walk escalators everyday will appreciate the transformation and the opportunity to enjoy the tranquillity of the green canopy and outdoor seating that's now available to them.