NSWGov_Waratah_Primary_BLACK RGB

Roads and Works Permits

Place Management NSW may issue permits or approvals for works in the public domain and on the road.

Permits issued are under two main pieces of legislation, the Barangaroo Delivery Authority Act 2009 and the Roads Act 1993. Since 1 July 2019, Infrastructure NSW is the declared Road Authority for roads marked in red on the downloadable map. Since 4 March 2022, Place Management NSW administers Infrastructure NSW’s Roads Authority Responsibilities. 

As the Road Authority, Infrastructure NSW is responsible for making sure all roadworks are safely carried out while allowing residents, visitors, workers, and traffic in the area to continue to use the streets and public areas.

Infrastructure NSW also has a role in coordinating utilities works across the different developments in collaboration with utilities organisations to minimise disruption where possible. Place Management NSW administers permits for Infrastructure NSW’s utility works in Barangaroo

A permit is required for any works where on roads and streets (including craning, hoisting, use of cherry pickers and EWPs) or next to a road (for example, on the footpath or shoulder of the road).

Types of permits include:

  • Temporary works (minor construction works not involving mobile hoisting devices such as cranes or scissor lifts),
  • Crane works (for works in the public way using any type of crane, including EWPs, scissor lifts, booms and cherry pickers),
  • Temporary full road closures,
  • Temporary structures (for scaffolding, hoardings, anchoring into sub-stratum of road corridor),
  • Road opening (for works that require excavating in the road or footpath); and
  • Works zones (for exclusive use of road space for works over a timeframe – requires temporary signposting changes).


Public domain works

Place Management NSW manages the public domain including Barangaroo Reserve and the commercial, shopping and dining hub at the southern end of the precinct.

Any works in the public domain require a permit.

Works may include general maintenance, defect work, delivery of plant or materials to buildings, installation of street furniture, hoardings, or concrete pours.

Information required before applying

When planning any works, including pre-work, please consider the requirements of each permit and the application and approval process for each.

Place Management NSW will only start the assessment of an application following receipt of all required documents. Please note the minimum processing time for permits following receipt of all documents is two business days.

Enquiries may be emailed to Barangaroo.Permits@property.nsw.gov.au.

Pre-work may include ordering street signs, preparing community notifications, dilapidation reports, or getting an arborist report. The permit application may also require supporting information such as utility designs, Dial Before You Dig reports, design drawings, traffic control plans, traffic signal plan revisions.

While Place Management NSW issues permits, if works are carried out on the road, then a Road Occupancy Licence (ROL) from the Transport Management Centre is also required. Applications may take up to 10 days for processing and can be made online using OPLINC. (Note: The Transport Management Centre will only process an application once Infrastructure NSW is satisfied with the application).

More information on ROLs 

Road openings and restorations, footpath works and other infrastructure works are to City of Sydney specifications, unless otherwise required by Infrastructure NSW or another authority. See current specifications including drawings.

Ask us

If you have any questions, or would like further information, please contact us by email: Barangaroo.Permits@property.nsw.gov.au

Permit Application forms

Forms and supporting material can be downloaded here.


Venue Hire

Barangaroo is home to a unique portfolio of extraordinary event spaces against the natural beauty of Sydney Harbour.


Contact Us

We’re here to help, and there are several ways to get in touch. Connect with us today.